Tuesday, June 18, 2013

When One Has Had It

I've decided to record my journey as a Celiac Disease sufferer to give others hope, advice and whatever else is necessary about living with this nasty nasty disease. Unfortunately the information out there is limited, and only a true Celiac can understand what gluten does to us. I personally don't trust most websites out there including http://www.celiac.ca/ because they promote grains. I fully believe to be truly gluten free all grains must be eliminated from the diet.

Most Celiacs do not label themselves as a diseased person, mostly because we as a society associate disease with terrible illness, someone who can't function in the world normally, or someone in the hospital dying.

Give a Celiac gluten and they might be all of the above.

The good news is that as long as I am careful, I am fully functioning, able to contribute to humanity and you can too, even if right now you do feel like you've just been knocked over by a truck!

It's not the end of the world to give up bad food and maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle, but it takes a savvy label reader and knowledge of 'hidden' ingredients to ensure an accidental ingestion of gluten doesn't happen.

To survive this crappy disease, all you need is gumption and perseverance and major amounts of patience.

I'll provide the attitude,

No comments:

Post a Comment