Monday, July 8, 2013

Shmamcakes

A friend of mine showed me a new pancake mix, really excited about it in fact and as I read the listed ingredients my stomach turned. Knowing what I know, and the years of seeing my own children react to certain flours that I was assured were gluten free and therefore safe to consume, kind of puts a damper on what I preferred my reaction to be to my friends obvious joy. More information SHOULD be out there, but isn't, and it really bothers me. I think companies are too quick to slap on the GF label, not realizing the long term affects some food may have on humans and our health.

What ticks me off is that most 'gf' items are just starch and sugar, when eaten they jack up the system for a bit but do not offer any true nutrition or good fats/fiber, and yet we cling to these pre-made products because who has time to really research an entire menu? That's a really hard job. I know. It's taken me 17 years to get to the point I'm at now in my diet, and I still don't have all the answers. I still have headaches and pain in my joints and bloating out of the blue. But. I know I'm going somewhere positive, because my kids health is the proof of this, even though I'm still struggling because of my Celiac Disease.

We all have our own lifestyles, and run our households a specific way for our own reasons. Most of us want to live a healthy life, we want to avoid spending our golden years in hospital. We want happiness. We don't want cancer. We want independence until we die. We must continually ask our self; are we truly willing to give up certain things that harm our individual body in order to achieve and maintain this goal?

Here's the ingredients list of a popular brand of pancake mix, used by many who have been put on a gluten free diet, for whatever reason:

Ingredients: Gluten free pancake mix (potato starch, white rice flour, tapioca flour, dried potato syrup, guar and/or xanthan gum), baking powder (corn-free), salt.

And another popular brand:

Ingredients: potato starch, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, corn flour, evaporated cane juice, baking powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch, monocalcium phosphate), baking soda, sea salt, xanthan gum.



Some mixes offer more sustainable ingredients like Amaranth and Millet, although Millet itself is a grain and finding it in its original form would be difficult as GMO has overrun our food system for years so I myself would not consume it nor feed it to my children. Amaranth is a seed from an herbed plant and so it by itself it would be safe to consume for those avoiding gluten or grains, but again you want to ensure you know where it was grown, how it was processed and if it doesn't come organic, I would avoid it. 

This site offers a more in-depth look at which flours are actually grain free and safe to use, but I would caution anyone from going crazy and buying up everything marked gf and not assuming each of these flours are actually safe for your own body. I'll be writing a post about my own mistake regarding a purchase of a gf flour that turned out to be a bad choice, soon. Always remember, the product itself may not contain gluten, but it was probably processed and packaged in a plant that does. 

You must go on your own diet journey, and take it slow. Listen to your body, it will tell you whether something is good, needed and beneficial. Our bodies do betray us and crave things that are easier to burn as calories but offer nothing to the rest of the organs. Be careful not to let just one part of your body run the show.

As a side note, I avoid Soy whenever possible, as it's full of estrogen and who needs more of THAT in their system? (Not me, no thank you.) Very rarely do products made with soy use non GMO plants as well.

So if you are in the market for a product like pancake mix, use this recipe:

Ingredients
500ml Canned Coconut Milk, make sure there's no guar gum added (or your choice of milk)
1 Banana or 1 Cup Apple Sauce
1 Cup Almond Flour or 1 cup buckwheat flour
2 tablespoons ground golden flaxmeal
1/2 cup chickpea flour or 1/3 Cup Coconut flour
2 tablespoons arrowroot
2 teaspoons baking powder*
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg

Method
Blend banana, egg and vanilla together in a blender until smooth. Add milk and blend until mixed. Add dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
Add batter in small amounts to a pre heated frypan, on low to moderate heat, and cook on both sides until light golden in colour.

Top with fruit, yogurt, dates or nuts.


Always here to promote good health, and encourage you to be the best you can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment